San Joaquin County
Mentoring for women and girls:
To help girls and women aspire to and achieve their full potential by supporting expansion of existing programs and growth of new ones.
- Areas of Need: Mentoring programs in schools on all levels , including college. In neighborhoods. For women in the Welfare to work programs.
- Local action:
- Gather detailed information about existing programs and compile a directory of all local mentoring options.
- Call a round table discussion of mentor program leaders to identify possible ways to strengthen existing programs, with the possibility of creating a local center.
- Plan follow-up action for publicizing and recruiting for mentoring programs and establishment of a center.
- Local co-chairs:
- Beth Luna, 10068 Garnet Ave., Stockton 95212, tel. # 209-931-4543.
- Bev Blum, 4271 Round Valley Circle, Stockton 95207, tel. 477-5970.
- Areas of need:
- Get women of vision into public offices.
- Bring issues of race discrimination to the forefront.
- Spread recognition that each of us has power and needs to assume responsibility.
- Local actions:
- Collect and disseminate information on what public committees and electoral offices are available, that women can serve in.
- Promote participation of women to serve.
- Organize a permanent committee.
- Local groups: AAUW, Democratic Womens’ Club, League of Women Voters
Comm. Chair: Sandy Carter, 3012 Florida St., Stockton 95203, Tel. 464-0316
Economic Justice :
- Areas of need:
- Equal pay for equal work.
- Eliminate part-time work as a ploy to not pay benefits.
- Eliminate “temporary” category that has been used for long time workers to avoid paying benefits.
- Local action: target the County hiring practices, the City, and Delta College.
Contact Person: Gilda Valdez, Local 790, 463-3283
Violence against women:
- Areas of need
- Create zero tolerance for violence against women
- Educate girls to put a stop to gender bullying, empower at an early age.
- Use Title Nine to make more monetary resources available to women and girls in sports.
- Local action: See to it that presently enacted laws are implemented. Get educational programs into the schools, bring community leaders together to hold them responsible and accountable.
Chair: Joelle Gomez, Womens’ Center, 620 N. San Joaquin St., Stockton 95202, Tel. 941-2611.
Women’s Center, Child Abuse Prevention Council, Dawn House (part of Women’s Center).
This County is a work in progress. Stay tuned for actions, events and updates!